Saturday, March 26, 2011

I read this article on clutch, and it really got me to thinking. I really want more black female friends.

I don't have a lot of friends period, and quite frankly, I would prefer not to have too many. But I would like a group of black girlfriends to go to lunch with, text on a daily (make that weekly) basis, and just have fun with. I know that a good friend is just that despite the color of their skin or racial makeup. But there's something about having a friend that looks like you that, for lack of better terms, just feels "right".

Other races can't comprehend our struggle. They don't know how it feels to be alone in a room full of people. How it feels to be at the bottom of the social (and racial) barrel. I can't talk to my white roommate the way I can talk to my black bestie (ignore tha fact that one is just a roomy and the other actually a friend. you know where I'm going with this...). We as black women would hypothetically be more understanding than a woman of any other race.

With all that being said, it saddens me, that in my four years here I wasn't able to befriend a black female. I will definitely take the brunt of the blame. I'm personally not good at making friends. I'm shy, quiet, and would rather work than go out. However, I did actually go out of my way and out of my comfort zone to make friends. Went out to sorority stuff, smiled at every black face I saw, spoke first and tried to give a compliment. What I noticed, is that I really just don't fit in. Many of the blacks here are cliquey. They like to party. And if they've never seen you at a BSO meeting or any other similar club meeting, they won't even look your way. It sucks. They act as though if you don't get involved in that sort of stuff, then you're lesser than. And that is definitely not the case.

But whatever. In two months, I'm heading back to Long Beach. Hopefully me and the bestie can find us some home girls and be like "Girlfriends" (the show). lol

No comments: